My post workout yoga flow takes 5 minutes and will release built up tension from your workout. The trick to getting the most out of your post workout yoga poses or stretches is to flow from one pose to the next slowly.
I know that the last thing most people want to do after a hard workout is spend time cooling down but doing this quick 5 minute yoga flow will lengthen tight muscles, prevent injuries, boost fatloss, correct postural imbalances, and improve energy, endurance, and performance the next time you train.
How can a post workout yoga flow help you burn more fat? When you workout your cortisol and testosterone levels go way up. Testosterone boosts fatloss but cortisol blocks fatloss.
A calming yoga flow can help lower cortisol levels much faster but your testosterone levels will remain high which means more fatloss for you.
The Yoga Flow below takes about 2 1/2 minutes on each side. You can repeat it 3 times on each side if you feel like a longer yoga session.
Post Workout Yoga Flow Mountain pose Standing forward bend Deep lunge w/quad/psoas stretch Revolved triangle prep Downward dog Plank Low pushup Upward dog Downward dog Single leg downward dog Deep lunge Monkey pose prep (1/2 splits) Standing forward bend Mountain pose Repeat on other side
Yoga Flow Tips
1. Try not to rush. I know, easier said than done. As you can see in the video I have a hard time with it too.
2. Focus on your breathing to transition with ease and sink deeper into each pose.
3. Modify with blocks if necessary (my clients and I call yoga blocks arm extenders).
4. Play some music that helps you relax and put on more clothes if you're body starts to cool down too fast.
5. Try not to judge yourself or compete with more advanced yogis. Yoga isn't about achieving poses it's about tuning into your body to achieve other goals (spirituality, more flexibility, better balance, whatever you're trying to accomplish).